Dr. Eric
Dr. Eric, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  9 years of experience as board certified internist, pediatrician. Specialize in Adolescent Medicine.
8773812

how do i treat an irritated / swollen Plica Fimbriata

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Eric replied 8 years ago.

Hi!

Sorry it's taken so long for someone to answer your question, but I think you may have thrown them off with the 'plica fimbriata' ;)

At any rate, there are a couple of things you could try. Certainly ice and cold liquids, I would also try swishing salt water (1/2 tsp of salt in a glass of lukewarm water) and spitting that out.

If that doesn't help, you can try swishing and spitting a mixture of maalox and liquid benadryl (just be careful you don't injest too much benadryl) as this can coat an irritated area and reduce the swelling.

If the area under your tongue has a white coating, it could be a yeast infection - which you would need to see a physician to get treated for.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Eric