Michelle
Michelle, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 27yrs.background acute care, ob-gyn, pediatrics, community & home health, substance abuse, rehab.
7908218

My 2 year old daughter skin is peeling on her fingers and ...

Customer Question

My 2 year old daughter skin is peeling on her fingers and toes starting at the tips of them. What can I do to stop this and what is causing this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

How long has she had this problem? Besides the finger and toe tips does it spread up her fingers and toes and on to her hands or feet? Does the child complain of itching or pain with or prior too this shedding skin? Does she have any splitting or redness or fluid filled blisters on the areas that are peeling? Is it worse as certain periods and then better at others? have you had this evaluated by a physcian? A dermatologst is recommended.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she has had this problem for about two weeks. Also it does spread up her fingers and toes to her hands and feet. No complaining of pain. Prior to this she developed some little bumps all over her that the pediatrician prescribed her amoxicllin. I forgot what he said it was. Whatever it was the term he said sounded like the word scarlet. These little bumps were all around her neck and everywhere. They reminded me of chill and heat bumps.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Hello Again and I thank you for the added ad very helpful information,

Although this sort of thing may occur with no provocation, the usual cause in a kid is a bacterial throat or viral infection. Either way, it's usually self-limiting in a few weeks. Just moisturize with something heavy, like Vaseline. If the symptoms persist, ask your pediatrician. It also could be mild eczema which can be easily treated. There is a condition called Scarlet Fever and also Scarlatina. Scarlatina is nothing more than scarlet fever with milder symptoms. Scarlet fever starts as a throat infection caused by a certain strain of Streptococcus bacteria. Also there are some children that will breakout in a rash as a side effect from Amoxicillin. I hope this has helped you some.

In case you need some clarification I will be happy to keep this communication open until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think it was scarlatina. He said it probably developed with her being around my son who had strip throat. What is eczema?
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Eczema, is a common problem in infants and children. It is also known as or called by another name "atopic dermatitis". It usually begins with very dry and sensitive skin that will then become red and extremely itchy.

I've attached a link for more complete information on pediatric dermatitis and the treatments.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/treatmentguides/eczema.html

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have yet to read a answer that I think is helpful.