Judy
Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years
803120

What is a brain shear injury

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Customer, When people have accidents ,in which their brain mass hits the skull walls or when they suffer from certain neurological diseases , brain cells can be damaged , also axons (this is the part of the nerve cell ,that communicates and transmits nervous impulses from one nerve cell to another nerve cell ) , when these areas are damaged or affected ,it is called axonal shear injury .

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This answer is not complete enough. What is the recovery rate and time from such an injury? Do these cells remain damaged, or can they repair themselves? Is surgery ever necessary or possible?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked 3 questions to help clarify your answer, but they haven't been answered to my satisfaction. When they are, I will accept and pay you. By the way, MD   after your name is XXXXX XXXXX sufficient listing of your qualifications. What are your first and middle names? From where did you graduate and when?

<strongCustomer, in this type of injury , it is impossible giving a specific recovery time .

All will depend of the level of damage that the patient suffered , if the damage was light or moderate ,the patient could recover and certain neve cells could be repaired on theirselves over time .

But if the accident or damage was severe ,in most cases , the patient can not recover completely and the damaged nerve cells lose their function permanently , for this reason ,most patients will lose certain abilities permanently , the patient could have permanent neurological deficiencies like : memory problems , pain , seizures , other ones could have visual ,talking ,smelling and hearing deficiency , and in the worst cases , coma .

In relation to having surgery to repair permanent neurological damage , in the actuality ,there are many experimental investigations using stem cells ,however surgery is not a generalized and probed option in the medical community to repair neurological damage.

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Judy replied 6 years ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Registered Nurse in New Jersey. Due to privacy issues we are not allowed to give full names and whereabouts, just as yours may have been blocked had you listed specifics.

I have worked critical care for most of my 35 years in nursing - full time, 36-40 hours per week. I have seen many patients who were said to have this shearing injury also known as DAI or Diffuse Axonal Injury. The axons as noted above are responsible for sending nerve impulses throughout the brain and on to other functional parts of the body. I have seen some wake up to the point of near normalcy, although their families report some judgment and/or memory issues. I have unfortunately seen some who did not recover from coma. The ones who do the best are the younger ones, although it is not to be assumed that older people cannot recover - it may take longer and the results may not be as good. Surgery cannot help as the injury is as its name implies - diffuse or widespread, so there is no one area that can be repaired by even the best of surgeons. Good rehabilitation is what the patient will need as well as a good balance of stimulation and rest from the family. You cannot overload them with a lot of visitors at one time - a couple a day to sit quietly by the bedside and hold conversations (albeit onesided) is just what they need. Update them on the time, place, and events around them, then let them rest for a bit.

I hope your family/friend has as good an outcome as some of my patients, please do not hesitate to let me know in the reply box now or later if I can answer other questions - perhaps related to ventilator, tubes, treatments, etc. I have done it all!

Judy, Nurse
Experience: RN in ICU for 35 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your helpful answer. I appreciate your clarity and compassion.