Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

under eye/cheekbone puffiness

I have a puffiness under my eye that is not your normal aging problem. It looks like fluid in a sack and is under my eye really at the top of my cheekbone. I have consulted an allergist who prescribed Allegra and/or Zyrtec. Neither works. I have been to a dermatologist as well. I have purchaswd numerous eye creams, nothing works. I can be fine for several days or weeks and then for no reason it appears. I''m lost!!
Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

It sounds like you have tried quite a few things, but I'll tell you a few more suggestions in case you have not heard of these.

Keeping the head of your bed elevated may help. You may have to put blocks under the head legs, like you would if you had acid reflux.

More sleep may be helpful. If you are getting less that 8 hours, try to increase to that amount.

Try using the facial masks at night while you are sleeping (if you haven't already)

Tea bags - the tannin is supposed to help redness and swelling. Decaff is best. And make sure you don't use a herbal type of tea that you might be allergic to.

Identify if there are other allergens in your environment causing this -- such as feather pillows, or pet animals that are sleeping on your pillow.

Vitamin K cream may be helpful.

Reduce salt intake, but stilll make sure get get plenty of non-carbonated fluid during the day, but reduce the amount you drink in the few hours before you go to bed.

Cutting onions to make your eyes tear can be a short term relief, but don't do this daily.

Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

Limit alcohol and salty foods.

Do eye exercises (see the wikihow link below)

Here are several links that have information from a medical viewpoint as well as from an alternative medicine viewpoint.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/under-eye-puffiness/AN00664

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/16/74.cfm

http://www.wikihow.com/Cure-Puffy-Eyes

I hope this provides you with some new and helpful information.

If you would like anything clarified, please feel free to write me back.

Good luck,

Susan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Susan Ivy's Post: FOR THE FACIAL MASK-ARE YOU REFERRING TO A "GEL" MASK. I PURCHASED ONE YESTERDAY THAT YOU CAN DO HOT OR COLD BUT ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES. SHOUKD I TRY SLEEPING IN THIS?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 9 years ago.

No that was just a suggestions that you could use something at night, if you hadn't already tried that, but you would have to make sure the mask is one that says you can leave it on at night. Leave something on only as whatever the directions are on the package, otherwise you could end up with a burn or something. Vitamin K creame might be something that is gentle enough to leave on all night, but still I would look on the package and go by those directions.

I hope one of these ideas help. There are lots more ideas on the web pages that I left you, and what I like about some of those suggestions, is they tell you what the reason is that a particular one works, so then you can choose one related to what ever you think is causing the problem for you in the first place.

Good luck! Susan