Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Can gallbladder disease cause chronic itch and hives

Customer Question

I have had chronic itch and hives everyday for over a year and all my previous tests have come back normal except high cholesterol. Now they have found i an ultrasound that I have gallstones, large and have to have gallbladder removed. Can this cause itchy skin?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Hello ,

Gall stones may lead to itching when it causes obstruction of bile ducts which leads to increase of bile salts in the blood .

This is believed to cause the itching in gall stone diseases.

Itching is not limited to one area; may be worse at night or in warm weather.

If you find this information helpful, please press the ACCEPT button,
spend few sec for positive feedback

Thank you for contacting Just Answer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: How would I know if it is bile duct obstruction? Are there symptoms? Is this type of itching the same as hives or can it manifest itself as hives?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
There may be pain in the right upper part of the abdomen ., which some times radiate to back .
There may yellow colored skin , eyes & urine
Vague indigestion , nausea , weakness.

But it may be no symptoms also depending on the degree of obstruction.

The itching is generalised & usually not limited to one part of the body.

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it possible to have this for over a year? And please answer if HIVES can be part of the gall stone itching.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Gall bladder stone may remain asymptomatic for a long period .

Usually patients do not become aware of it until it causes some pain or they are detected
by ultrasound study.

Hives usually result from allergy & in most cases the cause of the allergy cannot be found.
Sometimes some stress or physical activity even may lead to hives .So it is difficult to say whether your gallstone is having a role in Hive . But gall stone may cause generalised itching.

Thanks