PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

How long will I live after a bone marrow transplant

Customer Question

In 2006 I had a bone marrow transplant. To cure me of lukemia. I now have GVHD. Graft vers host disease. It seems to be attacking my largest organ(skin) all of body gray in color,skin getting hard,dark circles under my eyes. feeling realy tired. P.s almost died in hospital after trans. do to liver failure. But I beet the odds. I have had melinoma 2x in the past. Bottom of foot and torso. What do you think of this GVHD ?
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 8 years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear of the ordeals you have been through.

This graft versus host disease appears in its acute form within 100 days after the transplant. Then, a chronic form can appear about 3 months or more after the transplant.

This can, indeed, affect your skin. Usually it is treated with cyclosporine and steroids such as prednisone.

Here is a link:

It is not the place of any medical professional to tell you how long you have to live. As you say, already, you've beat the odds, and everything like this occurs for a reason.

Do you mind my asking, how do you feel about all of it? What do you want to do in the time that you have left? What is important to you? What things have you discovered about life from having this difficult illness?

There is a natural remedy you may want to try for the liver toxicity. It's an herb called milk thistle. It is not a drug and you can get it at the health food store or online. Maybe it will help, or perhaps not...but it can't hurt. It is simply a natural way of removing some toxins from the liver.

What kind of support system do you have?

Do you go to transplant survivor support groups of any kind?

Good luck to you and I do hope this helps in some way.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response.
The National Marrow Donor Program website provides so much information and the live conferences are excellent.
I will consider the milk thistle after I learn a bit more about it. But I am open to any and all remedies.
I have a great support system, a husband and family who take wonderful care of me. I feel nervous and uncertain about my future, but will never give up this fight. My life and everyone in it is way too important to me.
Thank you for your time. I'm certain you are helping many.

You're very welcome, and I'm glad to hear you have a support system.

Never give up. My prayers are with you.