Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I have what feels like a current running through my body or ...

Customer Question

I have what feels like a current running through my body or what might also be termed a slight vibration and that is my best description but like what might linger in your body temparily after having sat on some piece of equipment that was not operating smoothly.
Category: Health
Expert:  Elizabeth replied 8 years ago.

Larry

How long has this vibration sensation been going on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Elizabeth's Post: It occurs off and on but not every day. I have thought it could be connected with low blood sugar.
Expert:  Elizabeth replied 8 years ago.

Larry

Since I am not positive what this condition could be, I am going to opt out so another expert can read this and give a more detailed and specific answer.

Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Hello Larry,

Does this vibration occur throughout the body or is it more in the penis and groin area? Is it more along the spine?

Does it increase when you are lying down?

Do you have other symptoms when you get the vibration - dizzyness, a feeling of being drunk, confusion etc?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: I notice it but not all the time. It is a feeling all over but I don't feel dizzy and there is no confusion. I have been dieting and sometimes I have weak spells that pass rather quickly and I have suspected that to be due to low blood sugar.

Hello Larry,

The vibrating feeling is due to irritation of the nerves and it is due to fluctuating blood sugar levels.

A high blood sugar level affects the nerves and causes them to be hypersensitive. This will cause a mild sensation to run through your body (or some part of the body, like an arm or limb) at even minor stimulus.

But a fluctuating blood sugar level is worse than a constant high blood sugar level and can affect the nerves even more.

Since you are diabetic, your body is unable to metabolize sugar properly. Dieting causes a major affect on the metabolism, plus age is also a factor.

Please consult an endocrinologist for a review of your blood sugar level, the medicine you are on as also your diet. You will probably also need a nerve supplement called Gabapentine (Neurontin) to help support your nerves. Please also take a multivitamin supplement containing Vitamin B1, B6 and B12 as these help in nerve function.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice