Nurse Julie
Nurse Julie, Nurse
Experience:  RN w/10 yrs experience - Specialties: OB/GYN, Infants, Pediatrics, Communicable Diseases, & Legal

Want to know why I get a thick yellow discharge with no smell

I have a creamy yellow discharge with no odor. I am wondering what it can be? The discharge is thick. I get this discharge after my period ends each month. The discharge does not seem to go away but lessens close to my period.

Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Julie replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question!

Discharge is common to all women and helps vaginas stay healthy by regularly flushing them out ("self-cleaning") and maintaining their pH. Most women have some vaginal discharge throughout their menstrual cycle. Here are some ways to determine if your vaginal discharge is normal or if you have cause for concern:

Cause for concern

Clear or whitish discharge (may be yellowish when dried)

Yellow or greenish discharge, or discharge that suddenly changes color

Mild odor or none at all

A strong, foul, sometimes "fishy" odor, or a sudden change in odor

Can vary from "paste" like and somewhat sticky to clear and stretchy, depending on where you are in your cycle and whether you are aroused

Clumpy or lumpy discharge, with "cottage cheese" like texture

Can vary from very little to quite a lot (particularly when ovulating or aroused)

Sudden changes in volume, particularly if other symptoms are present

Hopefully, your doctor has ruled out bacterial vaginosis (a disruption of the balance between "good" and "bad" vaginal bacteria) and other kinds of underlying infections, including trichomonas, yeast, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. If you continue to have increased discharge that you feel is not normal for you (or is a change from how it has always been for you), I would recommend that you get a second opinion. Some of the above infections can cause irreparable damage to the reproductive organs and need to be treated. It is also possible that your discharge is normal and that there indeed is no infection, as your doctor suggested.

In the mean time, you should stay away from any perfumed soaps, lotions, and detergents. Sometimes fragrances can cause or exacerbate these kinds of problems.