Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

What do you do when u have a perforated pancreas and ...

Customer Question

What do you do when u have a perforated pancreas and multiple opinions on what to do and you still cant eat right with lots of chronic pain ??????
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Which imaging modality has given you the diagnosis? Is it Ultrasound, CT or ERCP? Does it say chronic pancreatitis?

What are your symptoms?

Since when do you have them?

Are you a smoker or take alcohol regularly?

Were you diagnosed by any gall bladder or liver problem?

What are the medications you are taking?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: 5 ERCP's the pancreas was perforated in the second one when an incision was made into and a stint placed (stint perforated the pancres)when they were supposed to be doing another surgery ,, confirmed with 3 more ercps, cat scan and untrasound calcifications of pancreatic fluid in the abdomen ,,
chronic stabbing, buring pain center upper abdomen, diarea, inabilty to digest certain foods
happened a year ago.
no smoker no alcohol hospitalized 11 monthe since last january for complications and pain
cozaar and benadryl

I can understand the problems you are facing and the difficult situation you are in. With so many specialist you had consulted, I don't know, if I can tell you new thing but, I hope these may be helpful to you.

1) antioxidants may help you in pancreatic healing.

2) consideration of CT-guided and EUS-guided celiac axis block to relieve the discomfort and pain.

3) reduced fat intake is often recommended if it causes diarrhea

4) Surgical treatment may be opted in the form of Pancreatic duct drainage by a dilated pancreatic duct, a Roux-en-Y side-to-side pancreaticojejunostomy, or pancreatic resection. If the disease is limited to the head of the pancreas, a Whipple operation (pancreaticoduodenectomy) can produce good results. Alternatively a total pancreatectomy and islet autotransplantation may also be considered by your treating physicians.

I hope this helps you. Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr. Arun