Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My left ear (inner) itches quite often. White flakes come ...

My left ear (inner) itches quite often. White flakes come out if I stick a finger part way into the ear canal. I have also had cracks just barely inside the ear (same effect as dry skin). I have not had any such problems with the right ear. If I go see my family doctor I am given samples of a prescription ear drop. I don''t recall the name. It works for a few days and the problem sets in again. During the summer months I spend a lot of time in pool water but haven''t been in a pool since September. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
What diagnosis has your doctor given you as the cause?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I haven't been given any diagnosis other than maybe swimmers ear.
It sounds like you may have seborrheic dermatitis of the ear canals. This skin condition can be difficult to control at times - but often responds to the use of a medicationed shampoo on the scalp (the shampoo is NOT placed in the ear canal)

If this is not effective, a dermatologist or ENT (otolaryngologist) evaluation may be appropriate.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is The medicationed shampoo something I need a prescription for or can I buy it over the counter? Can you recommend a brand it over the counter is acceptable.
I'm sorry - I should have made that clear. There are a number of medicated shampoos that may be effective. I find that Selsun Blue or Nizoral to be two of the most effective. Here is a list of other common shampoos that may be effective.