Nurse Julie
Nurse Julie, Nurse
Experience:  RN w/10 yrs experience - Specialties: OB/GYN, Infants, Pediatrics, Communicable Diseases, & Legal

two old prescriptions that i did not finish one was Lexapro

I have two old prescriptions that i did not finish one was Lexapro and the other is Meclizine. How long is it safe to use them. I just got a new prescription of Miclizine and I found this old one in my medicine cabinet. I started having dizzy spells again and went to the hospital ant that is where I got the new prescription. The Lexapro is dated 2/9/2004 and the Meclizine is 9/29/2006. Thanks. XXXXX

Any medications that were prescribed over one year ago should be disposed of - even if you have a new prescription for them. They may be expired, a different dosage, or made by a different manufacturer, etc. All of those things could affect the effectiveness and safety. It would be best to dispose of the old medications and start fresh.

Thanks for your question!