Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

On a recent basis, I have been getting a painful boil

On a recent basis, I have been getting a painful boil on my chin around the time of my menstrual period. It is really painful, and is rather annoying. I know there is some connection between boils and anemia. I am slightly anemic, and have had low iron levels. I am now on an iron supplement, but that still doesn''t seem to be keeping the boil away. Is there anything else I can do to help prevent the boil, or is there something a doctor can prescribe that I can take before my menstrual cycle to help beef up my immune system so I don''t get this painful boil? Please help!

This is likely to be a staphylococcal infection. The multiple and recurrent sores are likely to be Folliculitis or Boils due to staph infection.

You should consult your doctor for this. Your doctor can prescribe antibiotics for this which will cure the infection permanently. This is the only certain way to keep it from appearing each time.

Till then, you should wash with clean water and soap. Keep the area dry. Apply warm compresses if there is pain. You can also apply Ointment Bactroban or Fucidin (Mupirocin) (OTC) on the areas. Avoid touching the areas and then then touching other areas of the skin or other persons. Each time after touching the area of infection, hands should be washed throughly with soap and water as the infection can spread to other parts of the skin and other persons.

You may also need to be investigated for diabetes.

You can look up here:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.