Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

back of throat near the Uvula and puss patches on my tonsils

Hope you can help. I have little white bumps on the back of throat near the Uvula and puss patches on my tonsils. I''ve been taking antibiotics for a sinus infection for a week now and there is no improvement of these bumps and puss in my throat. Is this normal? I do feel better, but still have these bumps and a sore node in my neck even after a week of treatment. Should i go back to the doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you should go back to the doctor.

The little white bumps are follicules which are inflamed, the presence of pus on the tonsils also indicates a fairly severe infection.

Although you are already taking antibiotics, the antibiotic is apparently not working. You will have to do a throat swab for culture and sensitivity and take the appropriate antibiotic. THis will get rid of your symptoms.

The presence of pus plus an inflammed node needs a visit to a doctor.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to ask. Are the white bumps near the uvula a common symptom of a sinus infection? and if so why wouldn't Amoxicillin clear this up?
White bumps here are due to infections of the follicles. They may or may not accompany sinusitis, these white bumps means that your pharynx also is infected, which may have come from the sinus infection.

Amoxycillin is a very useful drug for this, but if it has not cleared up with this, this indicates that you need a stronger antibiotic than this.
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)