Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am a black female who had a few blemishes on my face ...

I am a black female who had a few blemishes on my face from recent acne. It has been around a month or so and starting to fade. I went to a spa to inquire about how to speed up the process of lightening up the spots such as creams etc.....The representative told me about 1PL-she described it in such a way that it was a light and some heat used to remove the pigment. She did not tell me into half way of the procedure that the marks are going to be darker than before. She said healing time should be a couple of days. I NOW HAVE CIGARETTE HOLES IN MY FACE OF WHICH ARE NOT GOING TO HEAL IN A FEW DAYS.........I AM SO ANGRY BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY FOR ME TO BE IN PUBLIC WITHOUT WEARING A TON OF MAKE UP AND NOT ONLY THAT THE MARKS ARE SO DARK THEY ARE BLEEDING THRU THE MAKEUP. THIS IS SO MUCH WORSE THAN I STARTED. THIS IS GOING TO LEAVE SORE MARKS WHICH ARE EVEN HARDER TO GET RID OF-- WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Are you on any drugs?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DR.AMIT MD's Post: no medication. i bought some vitamin e oil yesterday. the procedure was done on thursday. why would they recommend such a drastic method. i have been crying all night......she lasered 14 areas. i look like i been in a fight with a cigarette.
Does she gave you any medication?

Is there any pain on the same areas?

Is there any redness?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DR.AMIT MD's Post: no medication. she put cold cream on my face afterwards and told me to only use gental cleaning products and moisturizer. she also said i can apply make up immediately. there are 3 areas that have peeled and are open, a little sore and red. i put some witch hazel on them to keep them clean, i will have to put a bandaid on the one that is completely peeled. I have a concert to go to tonight and dont want to apply make up to that area. she didnt tell me to use the bacitracin until the next day when i called in a panic
SORRY NEED TO OPT OPT.

OTHER EXPERTS ONLINE ON THIS SITE WILL HELP YOU

THANKS
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to DR.AMIT MD's Post: when are they going to reply? You have already charged my card $9.00 and no answer
I'm sorry that there has been such a delay in getting an answer to your question:

IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) therapy is a treatment that is a "non ablative" treatment for the skin. This means that the top layer of the skin (epidermis) is not affected like the ablative resurfacing methods.

The advantage of the procedure is the shorter "down time" with this method. There risks associated with this procedure, as you now know, including changes in pigmentation (including darkening of the skin) which are usually not permanent.
http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/ipl.html
It sounds like too much energy was absorbed leading to blistering (much like a sunburn)

At this point, I would suggest being evaluated by a qualified dermatologist who is not into the "medical spa" business to determine the best course of action based on a physical examination.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years