Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Hello my 4yrs old son has had fever for 5 daystoday ...

Customer Question

Hello my 4yrs old son has had fever for 5 daystoday and for 3 days he had diarrhea and 2 days of vomiting and 1 day of bloody nose He has a real bad croup cough that turned into a regular cough and cold. I took him to the doctor 2 days ago and she prescribed some antibiotics because she thinks the fever is caused by an ear infections but she checked his ears and said " everything looks good". And he is not complaining that his ear hurts. I do worry about him having a fever for so many days. PLEASE HELP
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem

How is the level of temperature?

Is the diarrhoea & vomiting continuing?

How is he taking food?

How is he passing urine?

Waiting for the information.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is 101.6 mostly all night It increased to 103 and I put cold rags and brought it down. His diarrhea and vomiting has stop. He has been eating a little of every meal but really doesn't want to. And his urine is good he goes frequently. Yesterday he woke up with a bloody nose. My husband is also sick and his nose has been bleeding everyday. They probably have the same virus.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information

Bleeding from nose may be due to cold .

It is good that his urine volume is ok which indicates good hydration
.
Try to give food & liquid in adequate amount.

Vomiting & diarrhoea have stopped.
So he can take food easily.

Antibiotics take some time to get control of infection, but it usually works by 48 hours

But if the fever continues to rise to 103 then you should consult doctor again.

If you find this information helpful, please press the ACCEPT button,
spend few sec for positive feedback. . Bonus is always appreciated.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So if his fever is 101 I shouldn't worry or how many days do I contact the doctor if fever continues at 101?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
If the fever continues at 101 & shows no sign of remission still, you should contact your doctor & inform him . It means the infectious process is going on. Temperature should show signs of normalising by 2 days.
Thanks.