Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Hello, I am 5 months pregnant and have acquired Bells Palsy

Hello, I am 5 months pregnant and have acquired Bells Palsy. The Dr. prescribed Prednisone for me. (60mg for 5 days then decrease amount by 10mg every 5 days after that until finished.) I am also on a drug to lower my blood pressure and control a slightly under active thyroid. I am just concerned about the side effects of this steroid on my baby. I took my first dose of it yesterday and am stressing out about it. Can you please give me some input. Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Prednisone does not cross the placenta in high doses and there is no evidence that short term use causes any abnormalities. At 5 months, most of your baby's organs have already formed and so I really would not get worried about this. Stress will increase hormones leading to raised blood pressure.

If you were to continue long term on the steroids then I would suggst a monthly scan to ensure baby continues to put on weight, but for a single course then this is less of a concern.