Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

this guy that i am seeing said he had white spots on ...

Customer Question

this guy that i am seeing said he had white spots on his throat and that his doctor said it was either gonorrhea or herpes. he said his doctor did not swab, but just gave him antibiotics and valtrax to treat the symptoms. wouldn''t a medical professional take culures to know what they are dealing with? how much alike is gonorrhea and herpes?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Gonorrhea is caused by bacteria while herpes is a virus. Valtrex is in anti-viral medication so this implies he has herpes. Normally prescription choice is through combination of clinical assessment and culture but in this case, I would have though he would have needed further tests.

You need to see your doctor as soon as possible for a full assessment, including blood test to see if you have also been exposed. In the meantime I would recommend that you abstain from intercourse of any description until you get some definite information about infection.