Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

pain in my arms, shoulders, jaw, hands and having heart palpitations

Since I was diagnosedwith high cholesterol, I have been having pain in my arms, shoulders, jaw, hands and having heart palpitations. I am exercising, taking alternative medicine for lowering cholesterol. I am going on a trip next week and I am just wondering if all this is psycological or is something going on? None of the symptoms started until I learned my cholesterol number and I am under lots of stress right now. My bp is good and the ekg was fine.

High cholesterol pose problem in long term and it won't cause suddenly any problem immediately after the diagnosis. Remember it is considered a risk factor apart from many other risk factors like hypertension, diabetes, obesity, sedentary life, stress, alcohol and smoking etc. So, you need to leave worrying. Your are doing adequate to control your cholesterol. Since your BP and EKG are good, seems to be nothing which needs immediate medical attention. Palpitation is quite a common sign of stress and anxiety. Read here;

Hope this helps you. Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. Any idea why I am having pain in my elbow, legs and sometimes hands? I tried heat, but it does not work. I have been told that I might have fibromyalgia. I believe in weight training to help combat this. Any other suggestions?

Will consider possibilities of pinched nerves in cervical spine (neck) and back due to degenerative disc disease or cervical or lumbar spondylosis (bone spurs).

Also consider screening you for rheumatological disorders and get blood work like rheumatoid factor, ASLO titer, serum uric acid, Anti-nuclear antibodies etc.

Dr. Arun