Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

sinuses do not drain through the nose but down the back ...

sinuses do not drain through the nose but down the back of the throat causing severe post nasal drip what could be the problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Hello Faith

When one can not drain over production of mucous from sinusitis through nasal opening due to swelling and blockage of sinus, postnasal drip occurs.
Post nasal drip is a sensation of mucous build up in the throat. The cause is over-production of mucous by glands in the nose and in the throat.

The mucous serves a healthy purpose at certain level, cleaning and moistening nasal passages, trapping foreign matter that has been inhaled, moistening and humidifying the air breathe, and even fighting infection.

At an unhealthy level, the body will react to the infection by sending its defense system of white blood cells to the nasal passages to trigger more mucous production in order to "wash out" the bacteria, irritants, or foreign matter.
But this tends to further congest and infect the nose, other sinuses, ear cavity, tonsils, pharynx, larynx.

Studies show post nasal drip as a cause of bad tastes and even bad breath, when bacteria settles in it, extracts sulfur compounds from amino acids in proteins and produces bad smell.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain further.

If you find this information helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, Bonus is always appreciated.

Your positive Feed back is important to me.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: is this anythingto be concerned about
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
As I mentioned earlier the drainage going through the back may spread infection to other adjacent areas & bad odour ,it should be treated to prevent chronic infection.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how can it be treated
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
You have to contact ENT specialist (Otolaryngologist )for evaluation. He will treat according to the finding where you may need nasal drops , antihistamines or antibiotics
as necessary.