Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.
8322836

I had a heated discussion at dinner with some friends ...

Customer Question

I had a heated discussion at dinner with some friends the advantages to having a dehumidifer in your home (especially in my basement.) They challenged me on why on earth I would put one in? Can you give me a healthy explanation why you should have one in your home especially if you have a basement. Also why does mine not work in the winter in the basement? It never fills up with water at all.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
The reason for this is the fact that basements are high humidity zones which can lead to fungal overgrowth.
This can lead to respiratory allergies and aggravate asthma,
The second part is a technical question that as an MD I am not equipped to reply too,
Try asking that in a relevant section,
regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I needed the techical question answered so I am not willing to pay for that particular answer. There was no research done for me to pay for that answer
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 6 years ago.
No problems,
I will opt out, so that someone else can assist you
Expert:  Daniel Nelson, MD replied 6 years ago.

I only wanted to add that the most likely reason the dehumidifier isn't working during Winter months is because the humidity in Winter is so low, especially at latitudes such and the New England and New Jersey area.

I am currently at my home in Wisconsin, right on Lake Michigan, and I am putting over 8-10 gallons of purified water into my air because the humidity in my home, a condo, is barely above 30% ... in fact it is 33% right now and we get static shocks from each other and sure it's fun ... for a while ... yeah, let's shock daddy awake for the hundred millionth time! But this Winter is blanketing the US in cooler dryer air masses than recent prior Winters. My eyes are so dry at 33% humidity, yet even with 8-10 gallons per day, we can't raise our humidity, and our furnace uses a lot of humidity in combustion, as well, that is vented out the furnace exhaust.

Your humidifier may have internal presets or controls to not run at certain low humidities (the fan may, but the comressor and condensation coils may not), or, it's compressor and condensation cooling coils may not be powerful enough to pull humidity out of the air through the condensation process. My best supposition, though, is that your basement humidity is too low for the dehumidifier to pull moisture out of the air, and that your furnace system may be contributing to that process by simple combustion and exhausting of what little humidity there is left.

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer.com's Health Information. I hope that all of your concerns have been addressed and that your experience here was positive and helpful. If you have a new or different question, please don't hesitate to come back or submit a new question. It has been a pleasure helping you. Your FEEDBACK is very important to me.

Kindest Regards,
XXXXX XXXXX, MD

Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok so now that I had the opportunity to read both answers. The answers together are helpful but I am not willing to pay each doctor $9 for their answer. Can I just pay one $9 fee and which one should I pay. I am not totally understanding this system. I said that the first answer had not done any research and I wanted a technical answer. The next bit of answering from another doctor was helpful in combination. However for $18 I am not accepting or feel that this system was acceptable for me. Please explain is that is a fair answer.

Pay Dr. Gupta only. I don't care about the money, nor do I want customers here to be so worried about who to pay, how much to pay, paying too much, etc.. Accept only on Dr. Gupta's answer and just ignore my accept button.

Be happy. Two of the most well-trained physicians in the World took time out of their schedules to help you ... $9.00? I hope you know that what we are doing is NOT about the money and all about helping you, cooperatively and kindly. We both wish you all the best and hope the information is helpful, informative, and addresses your concerns.

Kindest Regards,
XXXXX XXXXX, MD

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry. I was out of town and I just received the explanation about the doctors and how they got paid. I don't want to upset anyone so if you need to charge me for both, then go ahead and do it. I got the information in combination so in order not to upset either doctor about their highly trained and experience and therefore the advice, please go ahead and charge me. I thought the point was that if you didn't feel that the first question really answered what you needed to know. Then you see another doctor answered with an even better and thorough answer, but he is telling you to pay the first doctor. Just charge me for both and I do not have to feel like they weren't charged for their time and energy sending these e-mails back and forth to be paid. Thank you.

It looks like you did everything okay from my standpoint. Honestly, I am not doing this for the money and was happy to help when Dr. Gupta opted out. I just felt like he did all the work, but may not have had the familiarity with all the strange humidity changes we experience in the US and Eastern Coastal States.

I am happy that you paid Dr. Gupta. I don't want YOU to feel bad or sad or bummed out about the money here. I think you did the right thing already. That was kind of you. Dr. Gupta and I both wish all the best for you and harbour no upset at you.

Thank you,
Daniel :-)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please confirm that both doctors were paid and I thank them in regard to two of the most world trained doctors taking the time to answer my question and yes,Dr. Neil Neilson, I will be happy. Thank you for your sarcasm.

I can confirm this indeed went to both of us, $9.00 each. I didn't see that you paid me when I wrote my note above. Perhaps we were both doing activity on this thread at the same time.

I am very very sorry if I came across as sarcastic to you. I truly meant what I said ... I just wanted you to be happy and pay only Dr. Gupta. Please accept my apology for my poor wording and shortcomings in that statement. Dr. Gupta is one of the best in his field, as am I. Without being braggish or chest thumping, I wanted you to feel that you were being well looked after and to not have to worry about the money so much, especially for a US physician. In Dr. Gupta's country, their salaries are sadly very very low compared to any job imagineable here in the US.

Take care and please accept my apology for my poor words or shortcomings in formulating my reply.

Thank you,
Daniel :-)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just read your e-mail. Thank you for your sincere words. No hard feelings. Your effort is appreciated. Have a good day.

Thank you. My best wishes to you. /Daniel

Smile