Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I used saline to irrigate my congested sinuses, and ...

I used saline to irrigate my congested sinuses, and now they are burning like a chemical burn, and have been for about 20 minutes. It''s very painful. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
Did you make the saline yourself or was this a commercially available (pre-mixed) saline solution?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: It was "Little Noses Saline spray/drops"
That is good - I was concerned that you may have used a home make solution and used too much salt when mixing up your saline.

It is not uncommon for saline irrigation to burn somewhat particularly when the nasal passages are very inflammed.

You may want to try taking some acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) to relieve the pain. If you don't have stomach problems or allergy to aspirin or ibuprofen, the ibuprofen would probably be better since it has an anti-inflammatory effect as well.

You could also ask your doctor for a prescription for one of the nasal steroid sprays if this burning continues.