Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

I have a 2-1/2 yr old with sever stomach cramps. went to ...

Customer Question

I have a 2-1/2 yr old with sever stomach cramps. went to the doctor today and they think it is a stomach virus. he sleeps in 1/2 intervals then wakes up crying holding on him stomach and his stomach get very hard. He passes gas but only alittle. he has not been able to eat very much for 3 days has no fever, and has not had a bowel movement. What can I do to alleviate his pain?
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
You need to try and feed him a more liquid diet and bland diet that will be more tolerable. Boiled chicken or rice, chicken soup and even try to give him some Pedialyte to help prevent any dehydration. I would also pick him up some hylands Gas Relief which is all natural and will not affect him with any other medications they may put him on but with noever present and the hardness you have seen in his stomach is the liquids and the bland diet do not show any improvement I highly recommend you have him seen no later than Monday for a followup but this diet should allow his constipation and gas to show relief.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: would giving him a suppository help to relieve some of the gas faster?
He is in severe pain now...going on 3 hours.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
Yes if you have some onfant/toddlers suppositories it would offer faster relief then follow importantly with the bland diet to help prevent further constipation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: not sure if constipation as much a stomach virus and cramping. should I try anyway?
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
Yes with the stomach being so hard it sounds as though constipation could still be an issue and it would allow for less cramping as well.