DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

I had an MRI of my lumbar spine and it said i have ...

I had an MRI of my lumbar spine and it said i have Posterior disc bulges that are impinging upon the anterior spinal canal at L4-L5 and L5-S1. What does this mean? And how is this treated?

Posterior disc bulges--- when there is a decrease in disc height due to degeneration of the disc , the periphery of the disc bulges outward in all directions. It is a slight outpouching of the disc. This is very common after age 40 & does not need treatment by itself.

that are impinging upon the anterior spinal canal at L4-L5 and L5-S1--- this means that the bulging discs at betwen L4 & L5 & also between L5 & S1 are causing pinching of the SPINAL CANAL {& not spinal cord or nerve roots}. This means that there is less space now around the nerve roots.

If u do not have sciatica or weakness in lower limbs , then these disc bulges are not significant. Many people above 40 have these.

These are features of lumbar spondylosis.The treatment involves activity modification { avoid bending from back, overhead weight lifting, prolonged sitting & prefering walking & bending from hips} & physiotherapy to strengthen the back muscle besides pain-killers if required.

Presence of weakness in lower limbs or severe pain or persistent pain despite therapy & recurrent scaitica are indications for surgery.

U may like to read more here

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that information provided at Just Answer is not a substitute to medical advice.