Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I recently had a CT scan with contrast (plus a 16-ml ...

I recently had a CT scan with contrast (plus a 16-ml gastroview oral solution) of my kidneys in preparation for a cytoscopy and ureteroscopy. During the scan, I experienced a heat sensation throughout my body that was much stronger than usual for that kind of test, and I have had numerous scans in the past. Particularly, the surge of heat and pressure in my head was, again, much more uncomfortable than I had experienced in the past. A few days after stents were placed in my ureters, and after the pyridium pills were cleared from my urine, I tested with Multistix and noticed that protein of 30-100 mg/dl was passing through. Is it possible that the protein excreted was perhaps caused/prompted by the CT scan IV and oral solution? I have used Multistix for 30 years and know how to read them. I am concerned about the cause of the protein showing up, because I am a type I diabetic. Thank you very much for any comment.
DearCustomer,
Welcome to justanswer.com
I.V contrast can cause allergic reaction and in few cases it can effect the kidneys .
Also being a diabetic predisposes you towards diabetic nephropathy also .
In such a scenario a consultation by a nephrologist should be considered .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've gotten a lot more info from other med sites. I was looking for a much more specific answer than a general response, particularly from an MD! I've never had an allergic reaction to IV contast, and I knew this info quite a long time ago. Also, you didn't really answer the question about if the IV could have caused the protein in the urine.
Straight answer for your question, if this is not a (mild) allergic reaction (which can occur even after years of dye use), then proteinuria is unlikely to be the result of dye use.
Given your diabetic state, the cause is more likely to be that. Or any other mild infection/ flu/ fever which can produce mild proteinuria too,
regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.