How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Donna RN Your Own Question
Donna RN
Donna RN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 255
Experience:  RN 13 years, Women's health, L&D, newborn/NICU, mom/baby, home health, pediatrics, breastfeeding
Type Your Health Question Here...
Donna RN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After sex I am having vaginal pain. It itches and is real ...

Resolved Question:

After sex I am having vaginal pain. It itches and is real red. I also get dry around my butt whole they feel like paper cuts. I just used a yeast infection medication and it stills feels the same after sex. What could it be?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Donna RN replied 9 years ago.

HI! Some additional information will help me to better assist you:

1) Was the yeast infection diagnosed? Or, did you just treat at home?

2) Were you or are you having any vaginal discharge? Odor?

3) Are the symptoms ONLY after intercourse? Are you using any form of birth control?

4) Any new sexual partners in the last few weeks or months? If so, have you used a condom every time? If so, any new brand of condoms? Any new personal lubricants?

Let me know so that I may better assist you! Donna RN

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Donna RN's Post: I treated the yeast infection at home, not diagnosed. No discharge or odor. I have irritated symptoms all the time they just get worse after intercourse. not on birth control. No new sexual partners and don't use condoms. no new personal lubricants either. I was told one time that I had symptoms of menopause but that seems unlikly because i am only 26. Is it possible?
Expert:  Donna RN replied 9 years ago.
Hi! I understand that you have not had any new partners and it may be difficult to consider the possibility, but since you do not use condoms....there is a possibility of Chlamydia. The symptoms you describe are common for Chlamydia. I do recommend getting tested. Another possibility that comes to mind is Bacterial Vaginosis (BV), which is NOT sexually transmitted, but can be treated with antibiotics. If the problem is bacterial, a yeast medication treatment would have actually worsened the condition. Some women experience an odorous discharge with BV, but some do not. You can be tested for this as well. The treatment for both is a course of (different) antibiotics. A third possibility is a low estrogen level, which could cause symptoms of menopause. Although menopause is not common at your age, it IS possible. There is a blood test that can be done for diagnosis. This can be treated with a vaginal estrogen cream and the use of a good personal lubricant, such as Astroglide or KY plain. The only way to know for sure is to see your health care practitioner or GYN for testing and treatment. Due to the continued nature of your symptoms, I would discourage any home treatments. If your diagnosis turns out to be BV, once you complete your treatment, you may want to try a product called RePhresh to help prevent repeated episodes. Let me know if you need additional information. Donna RN
Donna RN and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you