Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

liguid leaking through skin

Customer Question

i have clear liquid leaking out from an area on my leg (inside thigh just above knee) There is no visible sore or opening. What is happening?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Do you have swelling or edema in your legs? I have seen the liquid which is extracellular fluid leak out in severe cases of edema. When that is happening the pt. may need more diuretics, or to elevate legs. Do you have edema in your lower legs? What else is going on with you? Any other illnesses or conditions?

Let me know what else we can do for you.

I will look to see if your write back with more information.

Susan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I do have edema since an accident I had 5 months ago ( was hit by a car in a crosswalk I have water pills. should I take one? I do keep legs elevatef in a recliner chair
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.
Customer(Is that American Indian? It sounds pretty cool anyway)

Sorry to hear about your accident. If your doctor has told you that you can take the water pills as needed that should be fine. Depending on what they are, remember to watch you potassium intake (you may need more if you are taking lasix, for example).

Sometimes edema can be from sodium imbalance (too much) or from protein deficiency. I don't know your other conditions, but if you feel like you have been lacking in protein you may want to think about adding some to your diet.

Also you know compression stockings can be good for legs,

Try to keep them up above the level of your hear several times through out the day. Remember that this skin is more fragile, so take very good care not to injure it, because it might not heal very easy.

Sorry to hear about your accident. That sounds really scary. We need less cars.

Let me know if you have any thing else you can think of that needs clarification.

Take care,

Susan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you I will try water pill-I never heard of leaking through the skin, so I was concerned
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome. I understand your concern completely, it is not an every day occurance.