Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180
Health

can you get the stomach flu more than once in a short ...

can you get the stomach... Show More
can you get the stomach flu more than once in a short period of time?

DearCustomer

That is an interesting question!

IThe answer would depend on whether it was two different stomach flu viruses. Theoretically you could not get the exact same virus twice. The reason why is similar to the reason why a flu vaccine either works or not. Lets say you caught the flu, and you were all the way over it in 7 days. You would now be immune to that particular virus and you would not be able to catch that flu virus again. Just like you would not be able to get the same type of flu that you had been vaccinated against. But, if you got exposed to a virus that was differernt that the first one, you could get it a second time. Because there are more than one strain going around this year, it would be possible for you to get the flu twice, but it would not be the exact same flu.

Does this answer your question? If not, write back.

Here is a link to the CDC flu page if you are interested in more on this.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/whatyoushouldknow.htm

Otherwise please click the ACCEPT button when finished.

Thanks, Susan

Customer reply replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Susan Ivy's Post: ok so my daughter got the stomach flu Sat. and i got it Sun. and my husband got it tonight we probably have the same one or should i be worried? and the crazy thing is my six month old daughter has not gotten it is she out of the blue?

Yes, you most likely all have the same one. Usually a certain geographical area will have just one type, unless it is an area with tons of world travelers. And if your husbands symptoms are similar to you and your daughter, it is another sign that it is the same virus. Your six month old is a second daughter correct? And you want to know if she is out of the blue? I would think so, because she was probably so close to you that she would have gotten it from you before your husband. But I can't guarantee that fact. Sorry. I hope she dosn't, but if you all are getting over it okay I think she would too, because her immunity is going to be similar to yours.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck

Susan