Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

my mom had gastric bypass surgery around 1977 and now she ...

Customer Question

my mom had gastric bypass surgery around 1977 and now she has trouble with (terrible) bad breath . she constantly trying everything on the market but nothing seems to work. is there something that can be done to help this matter.     my next question is concerning the same thing When she goes to the bath room the odor over powers the whole house . is there something she can do to neturlize the stomach or fix this situation. she is very self concious about this and it effects her life in a sad way. she feels no one will except her with these problems and she is going through a terrible depression.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Hello arios 2008,

It is very understandable that you are associating your mother's bad breath with her gastric bypass, as sometimes sour stomach does cause bad breath. Has mom had a dental cleaning recently, because plaque build -up on the teeth also causes foul breath. If she has not had a cleaning within the last 6 months, I would recommend starting with a visit to the dentist to have that done and at that time the dentist will note if anything is going on in her mouth contributing to the odor (an abcess, infection etc.). It is important to find the source of the problem and resolve it because as you realize trying to improve it with mints etc. will not last long. I would imagine that she is eating a special diet and perhaps small quantities at a time, frequently. Please let me know what her she eats in a days time. Are her stools soft and regular or hard and is she constipated at all?

Thank you kindly,