Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

I keep smelling sulphur in the air and am also having warm ...

I keep smelling sulphur in the air and am also having warm tingling sensations in my chest like a panic attack
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your questionCustomer

1. How old are you?
  2. Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
  3. How long have you been smelling sulphur?
  4. Are you sure that no one else can smell sulphur? Is it possible that this smell is real?
  5. Have you ever had a panic attack?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im 47 years old
yes im paraplegia with high blood pressure
about a week
its possible the smell might be real
yes I used to suffer regular panic attacks

I'm sure that you understand how difficult it is to know exactly what is going on with you considering the limitations of this forum. For that reason, I cannot diagnose you with any condition. Rather, I can suggest a few possible problems that fit the description you have given and educate you on them. This is in no way a substitute for an evaluation by a health care professional.

First, I would try and find out if this smell is real or not. Perhaps you could invite someone to where you are experiencing this order and ask them if they smell anything? Don't tell them what you're smelling, you don't want to bias them.

If you establish that the smell is not real, then you could be suffering from phantosmia. (phantom smelling). Phantosmia can be a symptom of multiple problems.

The most common cause of phantosmia are upper respiratory infections, and sinus infections. Once these infections resolve, the bad smell should resolve as well. This doesn't explain the chest tingling very well, though.

I will list the other possibilities. They are too numerous to go into much detail.

1. brain tumor
  2. Sjogren's syndrome--autoimmuse disease affecting salivary glands.
  3. hypothyroidism (poor functioning thyroid)
  4. diabetes
  5. toxic exporsure (chemicals, drugs, etc.)
  6. alzheimer's disease
  7. Parkinson's disease
  8. cancers of the nasal cavity.

I cannot explain the tingling in your chest other than perhaps you are getting very anxious worrying about this smell disorder. Being 47, you should have your risk calculated for having heart problems. If this is ok, I would try and see how you feel after you get this smelling problem taken care of.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience: Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner