Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD ... Capable of answering most of your heath related questions
4107629

How do I lower my bilirubin level Is it genetic or is it ...

Customer Question

How do I lower my bilirubin level? Is it genetic or is it determined by nuture? I think I have Gilberts Syndrome.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

Gilberts syndrome is a benign (harmless) condition that is usually inherited... people with this condition inherit an abnormal gene that controls the enzyme that helps break bilirubin down....

if you have this syndrome then usually there is no need for treatment as this condition is harmless.... if however you are distress by having a yellow appearance... then phenobarbital can be used to lower the bilirubin levels...

hope that answers your questions... let me know if you need more input..

regards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Zia's Post: I'm asking this question because I'm trying to qualify for medical reseach studies. They said my bilirubin was a 1.8, and they were looking for a 1.4. Is there anything at all that I can do to lower it. There are sometimes I don't eat 3 meals day. So, could the skipping meals cause it to elevate it?
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

fasting (not eating anything for sometime) CAN elevate your bilirubin levels in case of Gilbert's syndrome... so YES... taking meals more regularly can cause a decrease in your bilirubin level..

regards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sometimes, I have abdominal pain. So, does that mean I have Gilbert's?
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

can you please tell me the location of your abdominal pain?

regards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Zia's Post: THe location the pain in abdomen (sp) is on the sides, and sometimes in the middle. Today, I had the runs, and the color the fecal matter was sort of an orange-yellowish color. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

your Gilbert's syndrome MOST LIKELY has nothing to do with the pain that you are having or the color of stool that you are passing...

regards

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Zia's Post: So, I don't have Gilbert's Syndrome. I have a big bowl of oatmeal with 3 tablesspoons of peanut butter filled with non-fat milk. I usually have fish for lunch and I have chimichangas for dinner. Could any one of these be causing my pain?
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

well i would not say that you DO NOT have Gilbert syndrome... you mentioned in one of your earlier replies that you have a bilirubin of 1.8 ... this can be as a result of Gilbert syndrome (which i already mentioned is usually an asymptomatic condition) and like i mentioned if you do have Gilbert syndrome it is MOST LIKELY not to have caused your symptoms in your abdomen.... i DID NOT say that it is NOT POSSIBLE for patients with this syndrome to have abdominal pain... it can happen in patients with this syndrome... research suggest that anxiety plays an important role in patients who have abdominal pain with Gilbert syndrome... so even in patients with this syndrome the syndrome in itself is not usually the cause of the pain

BUT i would like to rule out other conditions first before blaming the Gilbert syndrome as a cause of your pain... AND for that i would advise you to contact your doctor preferably a gastro doctor to evaluate your condition..