Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

If you have burning and stinging near your navel when you ...

If you have burning and stinging near your navel when you cough or sneeze what is it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

In order to better answer your question, can you tell me your age? Have you had any previous surgeries? Do you have any medical problems or take any medications? How long have you had this problem? Do you also get this pain when you push to go to the bathroom?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had an appendectomy when I was 18 they had burst so Docors cut me from stem to stern so to speak. No medical problems no medications. about 4 days. not when I go to the bathroom. Tender to touch when pushed.

Pain in your abdomen that is made worse with coughing and sneezing is consistent with a hernia. Having the incision near your umbilicus initially made me thing about an umbilical hernia. Umbilical hernias occur because the abdominal wall is thinnest there. With your history of an exploratory laparotomy (fancy name for the surgery), I would be more concerned about an incisional hernia.

The pain increases with coughing and sneezing becuase the increased pressure in the abdomen forces part of the intestinal lining into the "hole" in the abdominal wall. This causes pain and so that is why it could hurt.

There is no way to know this for sure without being examined by a physician. The best person to evaluate this is a general surgeon.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience: Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner