Melissa
Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience:  B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia
3680697

My daughter lately has been tired all the time always ...

My daughter lately has been tired all the time always complaining she is exhausted and wants to take a nap? She did have a small cold stuffy nose and cough but better now! She has no fever and is eating good! She sleeps all night long, from 730 to at least 7 or longer. But tonight she napped at 1 for maybe 1/2 and now is in bed @ 6:45. Very worried why so tired all the time so young she is four Birthdate is August 28 2003 She is a good eater so what could be WRONG???
Category: Health
Expert:  Melissa replied 6 years ago.

It's not unusual for toddlers to sleep from 14-16 hours a day. School-aged children usually need about 10-12 hours. She doesn't seem to be sleeping more than the average child, but everyone's different, and you know your daughter's routine better than anyone. Abnormal fatigue can result from things such as infection or endocrine/metabolic disorder, anemia, or even depression. You mentioned a recent infection, and even with this, it can take up to a couple of weeks to recover fully from. If she seems more sluggish and fatigued lately, bloodwork and a physical may be in order to see if there's an underlying cause if it persists for more than 3-4 weeks or is accompanied by other symptoms such as blood in urine, pain, night sweating, pale mucous membranes, weight changes, fever. This would help determine if there's an underlying problem causing the new sleep patterns, and what type of treatment would be needed, if such is indicated.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Carter's Post: I was worried when i was a child I got mono so i wasnt sure if she could at this age! She is normal in every other way but her checks are red really red but that is it no fever or sweats??? Can she have mono or too young
Expert:  Melissa replied 6 years ago.
She's not too young to have mono, but this is usually associated with other symptoms, such as high fever. If the cheek redness suddenly started, she may have a different viral infection ...something known as "fifth disease." There's no need to be alarmed however, as this is an extremely common childhood illness, and usually, very mild. The most noticeable symptom is the red cheeks, almost looking as though she's been slapped, and it may come and go, getting worse when she's hot, stressed, or ill . In addition to the rash, cold-like symptoms are common, so it's not surprising that she seems to have recently had some cold symptoms at the same time. Sometimes, the rash can seem to spread to the child's trunk (chest and back), hands and feet, but many children have the virus with few to no symptoms at all. Usually, the cold-like symptoms begin before the rash, and at this time, they are contagious. Once the rash appears, however, this is no longer so.

Like most viral infections, there's not much you can do for it, as antibiotics don't work for viral infections. Fifth disease is treated the same as a cold, with rest and fluids, and perhaps tylenol or ibuprofen if she's uncomfortable, achy, or develops a fever. The rash usually lasts from 7-10 days, but can persist for up to a month in some cases.

If the rash or cold symptoms persist longer than 2 weeks, or he has a persistant fever or one higher than 103.5 degrees, or begins to develop other symptoms such as trouble breathing, sore throat, or blisters on the skin, you will need to have her seen by her pediatrician to rule out other possibilities, including other infections (roseola, scarlet fever, rubella, and measles), allergic reactions, or skin conditions such as eczema or rosecea.

I hope this helps!

Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience: B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia