Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

I am short of breath. Yet my oxygen level runs 97-98 but I ...

I am short of breath. Yet my oxygen level runs 97-98 but I have to rest every 100 feet. I was hospitalized a year ago with shortness of breath---but had water on my lungs. (I had a leakie valve) but I was ok until a month ago. I take 80MG of Furosemide a day. Passed a stress test last week with flying colors. ??? My pacemaker is checked every six months and my blood preasure is 120/60 This is my only major problem----

Hello Coleman,

Shortness of breath has many different causes.

Obstruction of the air passages of the nose, mouth, or throat may lead to difficulty breathing.

Heart disease can cause breathlessness if the heart is unable to pump enough blood to supply oxygen to the body.

If the brain, muscles, or other body organs do not receive enough oxygen, a sense of breathlessness may occur.

Sometimes emotional distress, such as anxiety, can lead to difficulty breathing.

Specific causes include the following:

Lung disease

Coronary artery disease

Heart Attack (myocardial infarction)

Interstitial lung disease

Pulmonary hypertension

Rapid ascent to high altitudes, with less oxygen in the air

Airway obstruction

inhalation of a foreign object

Dust-laden environment

Allergies (such as to mold, dander, or pollen)

Heart arrythmia

Deconditioning (lack of exercise)

Compression of the chest wall

Panic attacks

Hiateal Hernia

As you can see there are many possible reasons and your Doctor will need to evaluate you further.

Best Wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I see a lung doctor specialists next Monday. Alerady had blood work and two checst Ex-rays.

You seem to know your stuff. Thanks.

Suggest you go to and check out books, then type in Hells Islands ----you will surprised what you will find ?

SmileI didn't know I was talking to a celebrity.