Michael
Michael, Therapist
Experience:  Master of Arts in Psychology
8166611

i have noticed that my clitoris is much smaller. what can i ...

i have noticed that my clitoris is much smaller. what can i do about it. why would that happen and im 36 years old.. also what can i do to make it get bigger again..
Category: Health
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The size of the clitoris is not related in any way to the sexual pleasure derived during sexual activity or masturbation.

In fact, the only time the size ever has any real important is if you planned to change you gender to male and by taking testosterone hoped that the clitoris would grow large enough to work as an effective (but very small) penis.

As I assume this is not your situation, you have to remember that the clitoris will naturally change in size based on the level of sexual stimulation. When stimulated it will become filled with blood and will become considerably larger (wider and longer). It will also become more sensitive at these times because the increased blood flood helps the many nerve endings become sensitized to stimulation.

It is most likely that the clitoris is not shrinking. Instead, it may be that there is more fatty tissue around it than you used to have. This gain happen with weight gain, but it also happens with natural aging. As a result, the portion of the clitoris that is visible may be less even though the actual size of the clitoris remains the same.

Your clitoris should not continue to shrink. However, there may be subtle changes in how visible it is over time - especially when not sexually aroused. This is not a disease or illness and is completely normal.

So do not concern yourself with the apparent shrinking. It you are truly concerned you can lose weight and exercise, but as we age fat tends to deposit itself differently from when we were young so unless you are significantly overweight you may not see a difference.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease a little. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Take care,

Dr. Michael

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i have gained much weight recently.. but if i loose weight will it get to be the same again? and is there a website where i can get more info on this... its just when i used to get excited it got way much bigger and like hard looked like a little penis..and now it seems to have shrunk overnight... can it be some high blood pressure med i took for about a month or alli pills that have been makeing me go to the bathroom alot ? and if so this could be the cause can i get my clit back to its normal size again?
Expert:  Michael replied 9 years ago.

Yes, if you lose the weight it will return to the same size. What has happened is fat deposits around the base of the clitoris have prevented you or anyone else being able to see the base of the clitoris. So you are able to see much less of it.

None of the medications have had any effect. It is the weight gain. Here is a website that describes the same problem in males called "buried penis syndrome" where the penis appears to become smaller and smaller as one gains weight:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hidden-penis/AN00401

The same principles apply to the clitoris, although because it is normally not very prominent there is not much written about it.

Dr. Michael