Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I feel shaky and tired almost all day now - for about a ...

I feel shaky and tired almost all day now - for about a week. I just got over a cold a few days ago and thought these symptoms would go away, but they haven''t. I thought maybe I was shaky due to low blood sugar, but eating doesn''t really seem to may a difference. Could I be iron deficient?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Do you think you may have had the flu? The tiredness symptoms are usually worse with the flu than a cold. See:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms.htm

It is good that you are making sure that you are eating and drinking enough.

As far as anemia, the only way to tell for sure is by a blood test. In severe anemia you would be tired, your mucus membraines (lips, corner of eye, etc.) and nail beds would appear paler than normal and sometimes your heart rate would be elevated (normal heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per minute). Spinich, meat, liver, raisens, are some foods which help replace iron in iron poor anemia.

Read over the flu symptoms above and see if any other symptoms sound familiar. If this problem continues, yes I would suggest you see your primary care physician.

If you have further question, please clarify your question. If you are satisfied with my answer please click the ACCEPT button.

Take care,

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Susan Ivy's Post: I am puzzled with the shakiness part. In your opinion, what else do you think could be causing this? I don't think I had the flu ....just a cold. (I didn't have a fever at all, no diarrhea, vomitting, body aches or headache.) Can you give me any more clues? I have read up about thyroid problems, diabetes and anemia and just plain anxiety. Nothing really seems to fit, and those are the only things that I can think of that may cause shakiness.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

You can have the flu without all of those symptoms, but you know best as far as what you felt you had, regarding the cold.

Weakness and shakiness can indicate an electrolye imbalance. Are you taking medications for anything? Often people get electrolye imbalance if they are taking diuretics or blood pressure medication, sweating excessively, or having nausea and vomiting.

You are also right that an increased blood sugar could make you feel lethargic and shakey.

Arsenic or mecury posioning, antidepressants and lithium, certain antipsychotics can also cause shaking.

So if you are on any medication, let me know what they are.

There are also more severe illnesses that effect the central nervous system such as Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, Parkinson's disease. Let hope it is not anything that serious. The only way to tell would be to see your physician for testing, and possibly a neurologist depending on the type of shaking you are having.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not currently on any medication - not even birth control pills. (I also just started my cycle yesterday, so I know I am not pregnant.) What can I do if it is an electrolyte imbalance?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

If it is an electrolye problem usually something would have caused it, and the only thing I didn't mention would be excessive water intake (very rare) or excessive enemas.

Drinking gatoraid can replace electrolytes. Eating banana's helps to replace Potassium (K+) which is lost when people take diuretics and blood pressure pills, or have vomiting, diarrhea, excess loss of blood.

In the meantime, continue to eat a healthy diet. Since you did have a cold, it is possible you are still recovering. Try to eat a lot of fruits, vegetables and protein.

If you don't get better you will need lab work from your doctor's office. Make note of any other symptoms you have.

Good luck,

I do hope this helps and that you get better soon. Let us know how you do.

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for all of your help today! I really appreciate your time and all you did to help me answer my questions. I will go to the DR later in the week if I don't feel better. Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. I will try them all! :)
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome!
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS