Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

I have a large red bump in my pubic-hair

Customer Question

I have a large red bump in my pubic hair. It hurts if pressures applied and the size tends to change from time to time. The bump does seem to have a head or fluid filled. Its just solid. However, I can see smaller pubic hair than the rest growing out of it. What could it be?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
How long has it been there? is it just one? How large is it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its just one its been there for about 3 days. Its about 1/2 inch in diameter. I had something similiar to it on my calf about 3 months ago.

It is probably an ingrown hair. This happens often, especially if you shave the area. It is quite benign. They often resemble large pimples in the pubic hair. It may also simply be a pimple. The best way to treat it is to leave it alone and apply heat to the area. These usually resolve on their own in a few days.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It doesn't have a head though like a pimple though. Also, I don't shave the area very often.
It may be too soon for a head as these are a bit deeper than pimples you would experience on your face. These usually feel like a deeper pea sized nodule under the skin but it is essentially the same thing. Here is someone with a more severe version of your problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can ingrown hair happen even if it hasn't been shaven and can they reoccur?
yes, it can happen without shaving or shaving a while back, and yes they can reoccur. Trick is to not squeeze it, they hurt and scar more this way.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can so this doesn't sound like herpes or another STD?
No it does not. What you have is a single spot, in the pubic hair. STDs would look differently.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What would they look like? Because I have gotten pimple looking things in my pubic hair before but nothing like this.
Well there are so many STDs. Herpes cause small blisters, warts look like warts, gonorrhea and chlamydia usually give you a discharge, syphyllis causes a chancre that is actually painless (crazy but true). If you have the stomach for it, look at some of these pictures. Anyways, if you had some infection that was more obscure, you could get a swollen lymph node that may resemble what you have, but that is down the list of possibilities. You should give this a few days and it should get better.