DoctorS
DoctorS, Doctor
Experience:  MD, 30 years of medical practice
8358110

I had the first lining of my uterus removed 1 year ago due ...

I had the first lining of my uterus removed 1 year ago due to over active hormones causing me to bleed every 2 weeks with lots of pain and very heavy bleeding. I don''t get my menstrual cycle anymore because of it. I am having a couple of different problems since then. I don''t have any sexual sensation and have no desire for sex anymore, I am having alot of abdominal pain as if I am going to have my period, and there is pain during and after sex. Is it possible that there could be cancer?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoctorS replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

To help you answer your question more, I will need a little more information. What do you mean that you had the first lining of your uterus removed? Was this a D&C procedure? Do you know what was found at that time?

Do you have any other medical problems? Taking any medications?

DrS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had a partial hysterectomy. It was done with laser surgery. they inserted a small wand in my vagina and at the end of it was a magnet that would pull the first lining of the uterus out. I do not know what the findings were. Like I said they told me that it was a precaution as I was bleeding too heavy and too often. I was in constant pain. I soaked through a pad in 1/2 hour. I no longer get my period but the feelings and the pain are back again. I have hypoglycemia, migraine headaches, and asthma. I am about 30 pounds over weight. I am on an albuterol inhaler and maxalt 10 mg.
Expert:  DoctorS replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

First of all, at 38 years old, your chances of having endometrial (or uterine) cancer are extremely low, and second of all, the fact that you are no longer having your period and experiencing pain are not usual symptoms of cancer. It sounds like this is a major concern of yours, so I would like to just help you to feel more relaxed that this very unlikely.

If you had a partial hysterectomy, this is also referred to as a subtotal or supracervial hysterectomy which means that the entire uterus is actually removed, leaving the cervix behind. This is in contrast to a total hysterectomy in which the cervix is also removed. It sounds like there may have been some confusion regarding exactly what the procedure that had been done was - because with a partial hysterectomy, since the uterus is removed, after the surgery, you should not menustruate anymore. Since the ovaries are left intact, you will still experience normal hormone levels, but will not experience monthly bleeding. I am attaching a link for you to learn more: http://www.womentowomen.com/hysterectomyandalternatives/vaginalandpartialhysterectomyoptions.aspx

If, however, the procedure was a D&C or dilation and curretage - and not a partial hysterectomy, in this case the lining of the uterus was scraped to remove polyps or other sources of bleeding - then you could have a different problem, also a common complication, called Asherman's syndrome which is the formation of adhesions after the procedure causing you to stop menstruating normally as well, and a common cause of pain. Here is a link with more information about this: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001483.htm

It sounds like the most important thing you can do is clarify exactly what the procedure was that was done, because if it is the first situation, it is completely normal that you do not have your period - and now the cause of the pain will need to be investigated; whereas if the situation is the second, you should be able to recover menstrual bleeding and relieve the pain by a surgical procedure to release the adhesions.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

DrS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to DoctorS's Post: It was neither of those situations. I had ONLY the first lining of my uterus removed. I had 2 scenarios that could have occured with this procedure. 1. that I would only bleed 3-5 days a month 2. that my bleeding would be stopped altogether. The 2nd situation is what happened. The procedure is a new procedure done by a gynecologist. Also, my concern wasn't for uteran cancer, but for cervical cancer. They said that I was too young to have a hysterectomy. But if the operation did not work, they would perform one. i am well aware that at 38 the chances of uteran cancer are very rare. I did however, have a very difficult delivery with my 4th and final child. I also should tell you that I had PID when I was approx. 18. I had sex beginning at age 13. I had multiple sex partners. I was a drug addict.(still am but recovering now for 20 years.) I had my first child at age 15, he died 1 hour after birth from congestive heart failure(due to my drug addiction at the time)Since then I had 3 children, the delivery for each child was progressively worse and longer each time. I was told to stop having children as my health and the health of any further child would be in jeapordy. Each of my pregnancies were high risk and monitored by the head of high risk pregnanices doctors in the hospitals that I gave birth in. I had weekly checkups instead of monthly to monitor the developement of each fetus. I am also a smoker. I don't know if any of this helps. But I do know that I had no d&c and I had no hysterectomy. Only the first lining of my uterus was removed. I will look up the name of the procedure if you need more info. on it.
Expert:  DoctorS replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

That information is very helpful and it is certainly possible that some of your pain is the result of the PID that you had a long time ago which has caused adhesions that are causing you pain and discomfort. If the procedure is what you are describing and you still have your uterus, then this is not a partial hysterectomy. Please do find out the name of the procedure because what was done at that time will certainly impact on how your current situation is managed.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the way you have been feeling? What does he/she recommend?

DrS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have talked to my doctor and the only thing they are telling me is to have a pap done. It can't be done until april. The name of the procedure is actually not any of the situations that i described. I had a endometrial biopsy done. does that help more
Expert:  DoctorS replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

Then that can explain the problem; your combined history of PID with this recent surgery that left your uterus intact means that you should be having menstrual periods monthly and suggests further the possibility of Asherman's syndrome which is a secondary amenorrhea, meaning you stop getting your period, because of scarring to the uterus following a history of bad infection, i.e. your history of PID, coupled to manipulation of the uterine wall, i.e. this recent biopsy. A pap is not going to resolve the cause of your discomfort, and waiting until April sounds like a prolonged amount of time. Would you consider a second opinion?

DrS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i would consider a second opinion. Does it sound like something that is serious or is it nothing to worry about. Your answer will determine whether I accept.
Expert:  DoctorS replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer

It does not sound like something serious, i.e. life threatening like cancer. You should not worry - your only concern should be seeking out a way to resolve it and it should be investigated by your doctor. If it is Asherman's (by the way, this is an informative article about it: http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/asherman-syndrome/overview.html) this can be rectified.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.

DrS

DoctorS, Doctor
Experience: MD, 30 years of medical practice