Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

What are the effects of inhalation of air bag gasses ...

Customer Question

What are the effects of inhalation of air bag gasses and how do they change results in breathalyzer tests?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.

Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Do you mean inhalation of car airbag fumes?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, Car airbags.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There are various toxic effects from inhaling the fumes generated in deploying of an airbag. The toxic fumes can lodge in the lungs causing a type of pneumonitis, or inflammation of the lungs in some cases. More commonly, it causes milder irritation of the respiratory tract leading to coughing. It can also cause irritation of the skin or eyes if it comes into contact.

However, it will not affect the breathanalyser test since this tests specifically for alcohol. It will not cause any change in this.

You can look up here;

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is wrong, for a test to work, a person needs to have zero material is his or her mouth 20 minutes prior to the test!
What material do you mean, alcohol?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: Anything, a ciarette before a test changes levels. Most breathalyzers multiply the strength of alcohol in your body to get a reading. The tests don't take the effects of body temperature in account to change in alcohol levels. A warmer or cooler body changes the way alcohol ferments in the body. Which changes the percentage of alcohol in a human body and then is multiplied. My question will be answered when you give me a source for Things that change the results of a breathalyzer!