Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD ... Capable of answering most of your heath related questions

What type of blood testing is done prior to a major surgery

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
  1. what type of surgery are you scheduled to have?
  2. what are the medical conditions (if any) that you are suffering from currently?
  3. what are the medications that you are on currently for any medical problem that you might be having?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have hebatitis b. Is it possible to contact it a hospital during a surgery and do they test for infectious diseases prior to surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.

yes they do test for hepatitis B and hepatitis C prior to surgery

hepatitis B is found in all body fluids and this can be trasmitted during surgery to the surgeon and even the nurses as well who have to take precautionary measures before that....

in addition to this they can also screen you for conditions such as HIV virus as well...

other infectious diseases are usually not screened for unless indicated in that particular case...

additionally blood tests that are routinely performed before any surgery include a complete blood count, renal function tests, liver function tests and serum electrolytes.... other blood tests would depend upon the type of surgery that you are having...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had been abstinent for 3 years prior to my fibroid tumor surgery and shortly after I tried to donate blood at a blood bank and was told that i was infected.
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.

sex is only one of the modes of transmission of hepatitis B....

a person can be infected with hepatitis B and not know about it... this is called as a carrier state of hepatitis B in which the person does not have any symptoms but can transmit the virus to other people

it can also be transmitted by a number of other ways as well such as when blood from an infected person enters the body of a person who is not infected, it can also be transmitted from one person to the other by contaminated syringes as well.. an infected mother can transmit the infection to her baby as well..