Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology

my eyes hurt in the morning it feels like something in it ...

Customer Question

my eyes hurt in the morning it feels like something in it and it always happen in the morning when i first wake up than about 10 minutes later it goes away its every morning and especially when i dont have enough sleep
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Ana Godinho, MD replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Most of the times these symptoms are associated with dry eye. It is usually caused by a problem with the quality of the tear film that lubricates the eyes.

Dry eye syndrome has many causes. One of the most common reasons for dryness is simply the normal aging process. As we grow older, our bodies produce less oil - 60% less at age 65 then at age 18. This is more pronounced in women, who tend to have drier skin then men. The oil deficiency also affects the tear film. Without as much oil to seal the watery layer, the tear film evaporates much faster, leaving dry areas on the cornea.

Many other factors, such as hot, dry or windy climates, high altitudes, air-conditioning and cigarette smoke also cause dry eyes. Many people also find their eyes become irritated when reading or working on a computer. Stopping periodically to rest and blink keeps the eyes more comfortable.

You can prevent the pain by washing the eyes with artificial lacrima.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards

Ana

Please hit the button "I accept" if this information helped you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont have problem tearing it feels like something in it. how come it happens in the morning when i fist wake up my eyes would have rested for a few hours minimun during sleep and i can stay up for hours without resting my eye and it wouldnt hurt. it just dosnt make sense after rest it hurts not during long period of activities?
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Hello there

I think that your eyes probably have another condition called blepharitis. This is a common cause of morning irritation because it is thought that the debris on the lashes is rubbed into the surface of the eye during sleep (pillow may play a role). As a result, eyes are irritated upon awakening. Dry eyes feel great in the morning and bad at the end of the day.

Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices. The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps losen up the debris on th elashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin to the base of the lashes. This helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks.

You may try this regimen without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

Dr. Stevens, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont have these symptoms and i did some research on blepharitis it dosnt sound like me
Then we can think down the list of possibilities? How long has this been going on? Do you wear contacts at all? Do you have fans or heaters on near your bed (vents above nearby?) Is it possible your eyes are ever so slighlty open when you sleep? and is it always both eyes? If not does it seem to affect the side that you dont sleep on as much? Please try to answer each of these, Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its been going on for 3 or 4 month , i dont wear contacts or glasses . i have heater vents but its at least 10-12 feet away it is always my left eye i guess its possible my eyes are slightly open but how would i know ? no ones ever told me that and i will try to see if its the side im sleeping on even that i wonder because i dont sleep in one position only
thank you i appreciate your help so far hopefully you can find the problem but even if you dont i will paid you the fee just for trying so hard
If it is in one eye and this chronic, it almost has to be a some minor irritant or a lid issue (like incomplete closure). Please have someone look to see if your eye is slightly open on the left eye.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if its a lid issue what can i do about it
Well, sometimes it is simple as using a small amount of lubricant in there when you sleep so that the eye is protected while you sleep. My suggestion is to use Lacrilube ophthalmic ointment, a small strip into theaffected eye at night. Stuff is cheap and easy enough to try, sometimes, I have patients wear those eye shields you wear on airplanes to keep the drafts of air out of your eye. try the ointment first and let me know if it helps.