Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.

are there any foods that will cause a dirty urine

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Daniel Nelson, MD replied 8 years ago.
Can you describe what you mean by "dirty urine?" Thank you. Do you have any urinary symptoms like blood in the urine, burning with urination, pelvic cramps, flank pain, frequency of urination, feeling like you aren't emptying your urine completely?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My son had a dirty urine and he has not smoked any pot. I know this for fact

Are you saying that the "dirty urine" is that he tested positive for a drug? I am still not quite clear what you mean by "dirty urine." Please explain what you mean in greater detail, as this is not a term that we use in medicine and I need to know what you mean by it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My son is on probation and he has a urine test every wek , welllast week it came back positive and for smoking pot and he has not smoked any. So how could the test show positive?

DearCustomer There are not really any foods, per se, that I know of that will interfere with or give false positives to THC (pot) urine testing. There are some medications, over-the-counter and prescriptive, that can lead to false positives in PRELIMINARY urine drug screens. These include:

• Ibuprofen
  • Naproxyn
  • Dronabinol
  • Efavirenz
  • Hemp seed oil

A responsible laboratory will then go on to conduct confirmatory testing, at an increased expense, that will not likely have false positives for THC (pot). THC is detectable in the urine in people who have used lightly within the past 7 to 10 days, and up to a month in chronic moderate-to-heavy users.

The questions that you will need to find out are:

1. Did the lab go on and conduct the additional confirmatory test in light of the fact that ibuprofen, naproxyn, dronabinol, efavirenz, and hemp seed oil can cause false positives?
  2. Was you son around any heavy use of pot, among friends or in smokey areas where pot was being used, where second significant exposure could have been encountered ... although, this would also be a violation of probation?

Kindest Regards,