Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

I have pain on both sides on my ribs. The pain is

Customer Question

I have pain on both sides on my ribs. The pain is at the same spot on both sides and when I touch the area there is moveable material under my skin that I can move back and forth. It is very tender. I also have pain at the bottom of my rib cage at the front on both the left and right side. In addition to this I have pain in my stomach )sort of like the pain you have when you are really really hungry, kind of a knawing aching pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

Have you been doing anything to stretch your rib cage lately?

Do you have other health problems?

What is your age?

Did you have a recent cough or illness?

Thanks,

Macy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I have not done anything to stretch the rib cage at all. I have had two chiropractic appointments in the last two weeks to see if that would help the problem, but I was more sore afterwards.   I am 47 years old. I had done some very heavy shovelling and lifting work about two years ago but that would be the extent of anything really difficult. I do not have a cough. Although when I lay down I get chest pain -not always but occassionally and usually only when I lay down. I am also a bit tender right where my ribs join the centre at the front in my chest area. I was worried that the lumps could have been cancer or something but it the lumps are at the exact same place on both of my sides. As well the soreness and tenderness below my ribs in the front I can also feel moveable lumps there as well.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

Have you been to a medical doctor?

Did you have xrays of your ribs?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did attend to a regular medical Dr. last year when the soreness started and I noticed the moveable piecees under my skin on my side ribs. He said that he thought it was just fat under the skin clumping and moving about and the soreness and moveable tissue under my ribs at the front of my chest was possibly torn ligament that would heal itself and there was nothing to worry about. The chiropractor has requested me to get xrays of my ribs which I will be doing shortly. She thought that my front rib cage could be protruding a bit due to the muscle tension in the back and that this would cause tenderness inthe ribs and the lumpy tissue could be the tissue between the ribs swelling and sticking out. However after treatment with her each time it was more painful - quite painful. I do not have a regular family Dr. so you end up seeing different people everytime you go to a clinic which is frustrating. I though maybe someone on this site would have some answers for me in the meantime.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am also concerned that in addition to whatever is wrong in my rib cage area that possibly the stomach pain is being caused by ulcers. I have never been diagnosed with them before however I did purchase some Gaviscon today (heart burn liquid medication) today and for a short time the stomach pain would go away. I am just trying different things and within the next several days I will hopefully be able to get the Xrays I need. I have to have a clinic Dr. schedule the Xrays from the referral note of the chiropractor. It is very difficult when you don't have a regular family Dr. HUGE shortage of them down here.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

Taking ibuprofen for very long can irritate you stomach and gastritis.

Try tylenol and see if that can work for you instead.

We will know more after you have your xrays done.

Your doctor ( when you find one) may need to put you on a RX medicine for your stomach to heal it up.

~macy