Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
6079351

How long will women bleed after losing their hymen?

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 9 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.

Typically, active bleeding should stop within 10-15 minutes, although there may be some residual bleeding with subsequent irritation (such as while walking or further intercourse) over the next few days as the mucosa heals. If you have ongoing bleeding that is not stopping, you should see a physician promptly for an examination and to determine if treatment is necessary.

Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Should there be a lot of blood?

Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 9 years ago.

The amount of blood can vary from a few spots up to an ounce. The bleeding should not cause lightheadedness or a feeling of dizziness (both of which would indicate heavier blood loss).

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Could I be ripped or torn? if so will this heal itself.

Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

The first thing that I would like to mention here is that one can bleed after the hymen is broken for up to 3-4 days... provided the hymen is allowed to heal during this period of time....

Now in some girls what happens is that there is a blood vessel that runs in the hymen (I mean a larger vessel than the smaller ones that are usually present in the hymen) and when that is torn a girl can bleed heavier and for a more prolonged period of time than usual...

If bleeding lasts for more than four days and is heavy and not resolving or decreasing you need to visit your doctor

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

How much is heavy?

Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

Usually, the bleeding associated with the tearing of the hymen is mild and only soaks one pad or two at the most... if it soaks more than two pads and lasts for more than a few hours. then I would say that the bleeding is heavy.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Can the breakage of the hymen trigger a period?

Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 9 years ago.

When the hymen is broken, the mucosa is torn which causes the temporary bleeding. If you have an abnormal amount of blood off if the bleeding persists then it may indicate that further trauma has occurred.

Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)