Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
6079351

can you bleed for a long time after your hymen is broken

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Pinkie,

Typically active bleeding should stop within 10-15 minutes although there may be some residual bleeding with subsequent irritation (such as while walking or further intercourse) over the next few days as the mucosa heals. If you have ongoing bleeding that is not stopping, you should see a physician promptly for an examination and to determine if treatment is necessary.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do not accept
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Pinkie,

What are your concerns about my answer?

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
should there be a lot of blood?
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.
Greetings,

The amount of blood can vary from a few spots up to an ounce. The bleeding should not cause lightheadedness or a feeling of dizziness (both of which would indicate heavier blood loss).

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could i be ripped or torn ? if so will this heal itself
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 6 years ago.

The first thing that i would like to mention here is that one can bleed after the hymen is broken for up to 3-4 days... provided the hymen is allowed to heal during this period of time....

now in some girls what happens is that there is a blood vessel that runs in the hymen (i mean a larger vessel than the smaller ones that are usually present in the hymen) and when that is torn a girl can bleed heavier and for a more prolonged period of time than usual...

If bleeding lasts for more than four days and is heavy and not resolving or decreasing you need to visit your doctor or go to the ER...

hope that answers your question

regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much is heavy?
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 6 years ago.

usually the bleeding associated with the tearing of the hymen is mild and only soaks one pad or two at the most... if it soaks more than two pads and lasts for more than a few hours.. then i would say that the bleeding is heavy...

regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Zia's Post: can the breakgae of the hymen trigger a period?
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.
When the hymen is broken, the mucosa is torn which causes the temporary bleeding. If you have an abnormal amount of blood of if the bleeding persists than it may indicate that further trauma has occured.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)