A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

how long can i wait to get tetanus shot

after cutting myself on a metal broom handle fairly deeply. its been over 10 years since last booster
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

You should be seen right away. You may need stitches and there is only a small window of time (a few hours) when they can be placed, plus you will need an antibiotic. You can get the tetanus shot while you are there.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i know that but it cant be stiched its a slice off end of thumb nothing to stich,,,ive cleaned it badaged stopped bleeding etc. its just that the metal handle was a bit rusty...it was like two tobes very thin one fit in oth retactable was like a razor slicing thumb so other stuff aside if i wait 12 hours to get tetanus shot is that too late for it to prevent getting tetanus? im not near med facility long story
I see. Please go first thing in the morning if you can't get to a facility tonight. I hope it doesn't hurt too bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you are not answering my queswtion...to avoid tetanus what is the window of avaiability to get the shot i know it should be asaqp in a perfect world it would be but given that its not...what is the longest someone could wait? again i know you sais go now so im not trying to get u to say a time period that i would take as absolue...just give me an idea of 12hour? 24 hour is that too late?

The incubation period of tetanus ranges from 3-21 days. It takes up to 2 weeks for a tetanus shot to produce antibodies. There is more than 24 hours in the window. There is also the matter of infection so you need antibiotics tomorrow.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you very much...i just needed to know i wasnt going to die from tetanus if i got a shot tomorrow instead of tonight . thanks again i had a surgical wound before and i got really good at bandaging cleaning to prevent infection etc i put some bactroban on it and i took a cipro so that should hold me till tomorrow i will click the button and pay you now :)
You're so very welcome. Good luck.