A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

how long can i wait to get tetanus shot

after cutting myself on a metal broom handle fairly deeply. its been over 10 years since last booster
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

You should be seen right away. You may need stitches and there is only a small window of time (a few hours) when they can be placed, plus you will need an antibiotic. You can get the tetanus shot while you are there.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i know that but it cant be stiched its a slice off end of thumb nothing to stich,,,ive cleaned it badaged stopped bleeding etc. its just that the metal handle was a bit rusty...it was like two tobes very thin one fit in oth retactable was like a razor slicing thumb so other stuff aside if i wait 12 hours to get tetanus shot is that too late for it to prevent getting tetanus? im not near med facility long story
I see. Please go first thing in the morning if you can't get to a facility tonight. I hope it doesn't hurt too bad.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
you are not answering my queswtion...to avoid tetanus what is the window of avaiability to get the shot i know it should be asaqp in a perfect world it would be but given that its not...what is the longest someone could wait? again i know you sais go now so im not trying to get u to say a time period that i would take as absolue...just give me an idea of 12hour? 24 hour is that too late?

The incubation period of tetanus ranges from 3-21 days. It takes up to 2 weeks for a tetanus shot to produce antibodies. There is more than 24 hours in the window. There is also the matter of infection so you need antibiotics tomorrow.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok thank you very much...i just needed to know i wasnt going to die from tetanus if i got a shot tomorrow instead of tonight . thanks again i had a surgical wound before and i got really good at bandaging cleaning to prevent infection etc i put some bactroban on it and i took a cipro so that should hold me till tomorrow i will click the button and pay you now :)
You're so very welcome. Good luck.