Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

I have red spots on my skin that seem to be spreading ...

I have red spots on my skin that seem to be spreading slowly. They are slightly raised and dry at the top. I also have small patch of ringworm (I just came back from Guam). I have had versicolor before but this isn''t the same. It itches only slightly. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

To better answer your question, can you tell me if you have any medical problems or take any medications? When did the red spots start, before your trip to Guam? Have you done any other traveling? Can you tell me where on your body the red spots are. When you say the spots are spreading, are there red tracks?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I take no medications and I have no other medical problems I just seperated from the Navy so as far as I know I am in good health. It started after I came back to the states. The spots are mostly on my chest and upper thighs. I have been to Singapore, Russia, HongKong and Japan in the last year. There are no tracks. I added a picture I just took. graphic

Thanks for that photo Mallkii, that's really helpful.

Normally, I would say that this rash is a contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis (eczema). Given your travel history, I cannot say for sure. My suggestion is to go to a travel clinic to be evaluated by someone with more experience with tropical diseases.

If you wish, I can give you some information about atopic dermatitis and contact dermatitis. Another option is that I can opt out and we can see if another expert will be able to answer this question.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I appreciate your assistance. I haven't been anywhere is a while since I started college in Sept. so I have a doubt that it is related to my travels even though I know it is a possibility. I just bought some cortizone and I am going to see if that works. If its not better by Monday I will try to find a doctor here that will accept medicare. I am going to college full time while taking care of two kids while my wife works. I say this so you understand that I truly thank you for your help and I wish I could give you more but money is tight. I will give you what I can for this response. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I see that I have to pay the 19 dollars. Is there I way I can give you less with your concurrence? If not let me know. I will

Sure. Go ahead and pay whatever you think is fair. I would like to add, though, that over the counter cortisone is weak, but may have some benefit. Things that will also help is using a moisturizer twice a day to help protect the barrier of your skin. I'd probably give youself a little more time than just Monday--maybe a week from Monday? I'll include some handouts on eczema and contact dermatitis. For the contact dermatitis, you must think long and hard about if you have added any new cosmetics, detergents, fabrics, foods, etc. Take care and good luck in school.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/skin/disorders/176.html

http://www.kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=familydoctor&lic=44&article_set=22057