Kathleen
Kathleen, Nurse
Experience:  I'm a Registered Nurse with 30+ years of diverse Nursing experience including Emergency room.
7453440

HOW CAN I BRING DOWN MY BODY TEMPERATURE.

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Kathleen replied 6 years ago.

Hi margie,

Thank you for your question.

Are you running a very high fever?

Do you take any medications or have known health problems?

Are you allergic to any medications?

Regards,

Kathleen

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had had a temperture of 101 two days ago. I am not sure if the thermometer is correct, but it is showing 99.8 Or a few minutes it showed 109. I had been in bed and very hot. My head is cool. My doctor told me I probably had a viral something. I have been coughing a dry cough. As I write this I feel better.
Expert:  Kathleen replied 6 years ago.

Margie,

Thank you for your response.

A body temperature around 100 or 101 is okay as long as it is not making you headachey or miserable. It helps your body fight the virus. I think you mean 100.9 instead of 109 temperature, if not tell me.

Since you feel better, and since I'm not sure about your health history I'm not sure exactly how to advise you should your temperature spike again,

If you still would like advice, let me know. If so, I will need you to answer regarding my questions about allergy to medications, if you have health problems or take any regular medications.

Regards,

Kathleen

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I really don't know what info you want. I haven't been eating, except for a bologna sandwich! Ugh! was stupid and made me miserable!. I have been drink lots of water and on the advice of my doctor, soft drinks...just so I would no get dehydrated.....So!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kathleen's Post: Thanks for the info re temp. Perhaps, it was 100.9 Yes, I have allergies but not to the cough medication I am taking...as least last year I wasn't. I am not allergic to aspirin or advil both of which I have take.
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.

Margie,

Thank you.

You can certainly use Advil or Aspirin for your fever. Advil can be taken every four to six hours as can Aspirin, but use one or the other. Take these with food.

You are doing the right thing by drinking liquids. This will also help. Since bologna was disgusting to you, stick with clear foods such as soups, jello, apple juice and even plain broth. Take cereal like oatmeal. Applesauce is good too. You can try toast with jelly, but I wouldn't use butter right now. Rice is easily digested, but stay away from gravies. Try to avoid anything with fat. You would not want any raw vegetables. Bananas should sit well and are easy on the stomach.

Avoid soft drinks unless they are without caffeine. Caffeine is dehydrating. Orange crush, ginger ale and seven up are fine. (That may be what you are already doing.)

If you are not using ginger ale then you might try it. Ginger ale and ginger snaps really do help nausea.

So, don't worry about your fever unless it goes up. If it does use the medications I've mentioned and increase your fluids. Dress lightly when the fever is high. Also, I think you should not expect to get worse and if you do, you should definitely let your doctor know. We would hope it is uphill from here, so again, if you show signs of worsening, please call your doctor.

Please contact me if you have any other questions at all.

Regards,

Kathleen

PLEASE ACCEPT IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER. FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED.

Kathleen, Nurse
Experience: I'm a Registered Nurse with 30+ years of diverse Nursing experience including Emergency room.