Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

What is the cause of white patches under the eyes They are ...

What is the cause of white patches under the eyes? They are puffy and the one under the left eye is larger. Is there anything I can buy to get rid of them?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.

Hi, Customer, You can not get rid of these white patches with over the counter drugs .

You need consulting a Dermatologist who will evaluate you to determine why you have these lesions to give you the appropriate treatment .

The real cause of this disorder is unknown,some theories suggest that is caused by a reaction of the immune cells against the skin cells that produce melanin ( the melanin gives color to your skin , the loss of melanin will produce these white patches ) , but sometimes skin fungal infections can produce these white patches also .

The dermatologist will determine what of both conditions you have to give you the appropriate treatment , the treatment could include topical corticosteroids , and psoralen or antifungal medications ,if what you have is a fungal infection .

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to ALVARO's Post: Why can't I buy an antifungal medication over the counter? I have been told by a physician that these are due to high cholesterol.

What it could be related to high cholesterol are fatty lumps under your eyes,but not skin white patches .

In relation to using antifungal medications over the counter , remember that these lesions are under your eyes ( a very delicate area ) , and the creams sold over the counter are not designed to treat this specific area .

It is also important that your doctor confirms or rules out this possibility after having a careful medical examination of these white patches .

If you like the answer ,please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .