Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner

What is bacteria in the blood How do you get this I have ...

What is bacteria in the blood? How do you get this? I have been hospitalized 3 times since April with this.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

Can you tell me if the doctors said you had any other type of infection when you were hospitalized?

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they said i developed pnemonia and my liver elevations was a little above normal, I do have copd. Plus sleep apnea which i do choke sometimes in my sleep, which i do know on the first stay i inhaled vomite in my lungs, but on the last two times it was difficult in breathing a tremendous amount of conjestion, but not pnemonia. they said it was caused by bacteria in my blood.

Bacteria in the blood is called bacteremia. As you would imagine, it is not normal to have bacteria in the blood. When people do get bacteria in the blood, it must come from somewhere else in the body. Typical places in the body to have infections that can get into the blood are: teeth (dental abcess), lungs (pneumonia), the urine (urinary tract infection or kidney infection), or the bowels (stomach, intestine, liver). What happens is that the infection gets so bad, that the body cannot protect the blood from the bacteria. In your case, it sounds like the bacteria moved into the blood from the lungs.

I hope you find this helpful. Take care.

Dr. Cawlfield