Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

Does levaquin cure trichomonas

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Mary, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Dhonwhon,

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer.

Levaquin is not indicated for use in treatment of trichomonas. It usually is used for the type of bacteria found in illness related to sinus infections, pneumonia, bronchitis, kidney/urinary/prostate infections, and skin infections.

Typically the medications that specifically treat trichomonas are Flagyl, Metronidazole, Protostat, Tindamax, Tinidazole.

If you are experiencing problems with trichomonas, you should seek professional help in getting the appropriate medication. Each disease has a specific type of antibiotic class that is effective for that disease. If you have this disease it can be spread to your partner through sexual contact, precautions should be taken.

This is a respected site may contain useful information that you can use.

Please ask if your need more information.

If you found this helpful, please click accept so that I may receive credit for my work. Positive feedback/bonus is always warmly welcomed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i already researched these results you have given me.My question was never answered.
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.

No- this medication is not used to treat trichomoniasis. Specifically a single dose of metronidazole or tinidazole is used. Your partner also needs to be treated, and you need to refrain from sex until treatment is completed- otherwise you will wind up passing it back and forth to each other. You can read more here
The medication does cure the infection, but it can reoccur.
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant