Dr. Cawlfield
Dr. Cawlfield, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine 2004, Colorado medical license; Family Practitioner
8294474

Diagnosed with type A hpv what is type A and chances of ...

Diagnosed with type A hpv what is type A and chances of getting cancer? There are no symptoms.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Cawlfield replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your questionCustomer

In order to answer your question, I need to clairty something. Are you sure they said that the HPV was type A and that it wasn't a number like 6,11,16, or 18?

Dr. Cawlfield

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes type A and told to come in 2 months for further test something done with vinegar on side of wall? there was no number given. MD said in most cases it will go away in 2 years but being 22 I am fearful of cancer because all I read points there. please advise. thank you

Thanks for the additional information,Customer

I'm not sure what HPV type A is. What I can tell you is that there are four types of HPV that are known to cause cervical cancer. They are types 6, 11, 16, and 18. The HPV tests that are done with pap smears test for these four types. It is possible that "type A" HPV refers to these four types.

Most often, if the only thing that was mentioned was the positive HPV, than there is no evidence of a pre-cancerous lesion on the cervix. pre-cancerous lesions on the cervix are termed HSIL, LSIL, or ASCUS. The chance of a pre-cancer developing into actual cervical cancer is 1% per year. Even though this sounds low, this cancer comprises 1.3% of all cancer deaths. about 11,000 people are diagnosed with this cancer every year and about 3,600 of these people will eventually die of the disease.

The good news is that it generally takes a minimum of 2 years to progress to a cancer, and the risk of this progressing, as I previously described, is quite low. Generally repeated pap smears or colposcopy (biopsy) is required.

It sounds like you are receiving excellent care from your doctor and I agree with his recommendations.

I hope you found this information helpful.

Dr. Cawlfield